T20 World Cup: USA cricket team shocks Pakistan in Texas

For cricket to interrupt America, it wanted one thing particular.

It wanted drama, leisure, high-quality talent and somewhat little bit of chaos thrown in.

So when the co-hosts of the T20 World Cup stunned former champions Pakistan in Texas in a super-over showpiece for the ages, cricket had delivered.

America performed their first T20 worldwide in 2019, are competing of their first World Cup and have been enjoying Pakistan for the primary time.

They’re ranked 18th on this planet behind Nepal and the UAE.

Pakistan reached the ultimate of this competitors the final time it was performed in 2022 and received it in 2009.

This was not purported to occur, however that is the land of alternative. And this was Texas, the place all the pieces is larger.

“Beating Pakistan is a giant achievement,” mentioned US captain Monank Patel. “It is a large day for Group USA. Not only for USA, for the USA cricket group too.”

Over in New York, the place the match’s different matches are being staged, the slow pitches have dominated the discussions and produced low-scoring, drab affairs.

However Texas has offered the fireworks; the blueprint to point out that cricket within the States can work and it may be good.

And all this within the yard of the NFL’s most dear workforce, the Dallas Cowboys.

Aaron Jones’ 10 sixes kick-started the match in type within the opener towards Canada, earlier than a collective workforce effort of unity, spirit and nerves of metal helped them over the road towards Pakistan.

“I’ve acquired shivers down my backbone,” mentioned former Netherlands all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate on BBC Check Match Particular.

“Coming from an affiliate nation myself, I understand how tough that is.

“However what a memorable day and a shot within the arm for USA cricket. Should you ever wished a advertising and marketing device to point out People what this nice recreation is about, that is it.”

This might show to be a recreation that modifications the game as we all know it stateside, which is dwelling to one of many world’s latest and most glamourous T20 franchise leagues, Main League Cricket, and the place the game will make its reappearance on the Olympic Video games in LA in 2028.

“Beating Pakistan within the World Cup goes to open many doorways for us,” added Monank.

“Internet hosting the World Cup within the USA and performing right here as a workforce, it helps us to develop the cricket within the USA.”

Pakistan are one in every of 12 full member nations of the Worldwide Cricket Council whereas the USA are an affiliate member.

This implies, like 93 different international locations, they’re recognised by the game’s governing physique however don’t play Check matches.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *